WO16 - We are the next generation
‘Week van het Ontwerpen’ puts creative and innovative student projects in the spotlight since 2004.
For the past 12 years the event ‘Week van het Ontwerpen’ has become the main platform for inspiration and exchange of ideas between Flemish design courses and the industry, focusing on themes such as creativity and design. The core event consists of an exhibition of the best student projects of the Flemish design courses.
In 2016 ‘Week van het Ontwerpen’ will take place during Biennale Interieur and will present the exhibition WO16 – We are the next generation. This will go on in Texture Museum Kortrijk, the beating heart of Biennale Interieur 2016’s city programme.
In an open call addressed to the Flemish design courses, they were asked to select their best student projects. Accepted courses were: 1. product design (industrial product design, textile/fashion/accessories, furniture design), 2. architecture of interiors, buildings, public space and landscapes, and 3. multimedia design (games, web & graphic design). An advisory committee reviewed more than 100 projects aiming at assembling a coherent exhibition. This advisory committee consisted of: An Michiels (Biennale Interieur), Katja Lucas (Dutch Design Week), journalist Thijs Demeulemeester, architect Filip Cnockaert (CnockaertArchitecture), freelance designer Dries Bovijn, Peter Monbaliu (Houtbuigerij Desmet, Foam Flex Europe) and set designer Dries Otten.
WO16 – We are the next generation will present work of student designers of these courses and schools:
- University of Leuven (Interior Architecture Ghent and Brussels),
- LUCA School of Arts (Graphic Design Ghent, Interior Design Ghent, Product Design Genk),
- Thomas More Mechelen (Interior Design, Service Design),
- Howest, University College West Flanders (Digital Arts & Entertainment, Industrial Product Design, Digital Design & Development, Kortrijk),
- Hasselt University (Interior Architecture),
- VIVES University College (Design and Production, Kortrijk),
- Erasmus University College Brussels (Multimedia and Communication Technology),
- St. Lucas School of Arts Antwerp (Jewellery Design, Graphic Design),
- PXL University College (Jewellery Design),
- School of Arts of University College Ghent (Textile Design),
- RITCS (Television),
- Ghent University (Industrial Design, Kortrijk),
- Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp (Graphic Design),
- High school VTI Kortrijk and
- Academy of Arts KASK Kortrijk.
‘Week van het Ontwerpen’ is a collaboration of Designregio Kortrijk, Howest University, College West Flanders, city of Kortrijk, Voka Flanders' Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Intercommunal Leiedal, and Biennale Interieur who aim to highlight the prominent role of creative design education as a catalyst of regional development.
The expo starts October 14 and runs till October 23, visiting is possible from 10am-9pm. Texture Museum Kortrijk (Kroonzaal, 2nd floor), Noordstraat 28 Kortrijk
Graphic design: Blue design studio
Set design: design studio driesotten
The set design is made possible by Cras, Revor bedding and Beaulieu International Group.
For more info and images of the selected works contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 56/51.91.83